Text Link Ads

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Goals......stepping stones for your life

Scribbit, our mother/scribe blogger friend in the beautiful Alaska has a writing challenge going on.

I think it is a great topic, so since I missed my chance this week with Mr. Sternberg, I will give this one a go.

The topic is Goals. Goals for your blog, goals for your family, goals for yourself, goals you had in 2006 or for 2007, etc.

*****

I have not been one for setting goals. Not specific one's for myself. 'Be Happy' was usually as specific as I liked to get. I have always been concerned with failing myself on top of failing others.

I have always tended to keep my goals as 'wishes' or 'wouldn't it be nice' dreams. That way I felt that they were a bit more flexible. Gave me more room to interpret the outcome. Getting my tattoo was as big as my personal goals usually get. And I did!

My husband has always had goals. Things he envisioned for himself at particular times in his life. He checks back on his list quite often.

He is a goal setter. He likes to have goals, both long and short term. It is how he plans his year out first and onward.

I actually kind of like it. He is a true family man. He loves planning and laying out the goals of our little team and then reviewing the end product. I think it helps shape his accomplishment as a man and as father.

It works great for pessimistic, glass half empty me. His goals, past and present remind me about what we have, and what we have accomplished. It puts life in perspective and makes you thankful for what you have. It also allows you to pat your self on the back for those 'goals' that you did achieve.

Goal setting in this house ranges from listing the big ticket items we want to purchase in the next year to personal goals for ourselves and what we want for our family.

For the two of us, setting goals together is part of the strong foundation of our marriage. We make the goal and then we work on it together. Then congratulate ourselves for achieving it.

For the material things...that is easy. But for the more 'mental' challenges? That is tough.

And is it right? I mean do we set ourselves up for a feeling of failure if we don't reach these goals or expectations? Can you set a goal to be a better person? What is the definition of that? Who decides if you ARE indeed a better person?

For me, I tend to do small steps....Weekly goals. This week I will not lose my temper. That seems about the size I can handle. I am sure others can look further and deeper into their future.

In 2006 our goals were pretty simple; Buy a new car. Go on a family vacation. We got the car and we went camping! I think painting the house was in there too. We got half way through that!

For 2007. Hmmm. I would LIKE to have buy a new house as a goal. But that depends on SOOO many factors. My husband wants a big vacation as a goal this year. We both are hoping that our web business ideas take route this year. Our BIG team goal is for him and I to be able to work together.

For me? I suppose getting in shape and losing 5o pounds would be a sensible goal!
However, I think the more important one is for me to just chill out and have more fun with my family. To relax. To go with the flow. To not worry. I think if I achieved THOSE goals, the rest would all fall into place.

So goals for us are things that keep the family together. Keep us on track. Keep us feeling together and united in our plans for our life.

Pretty important.

What are they to you?

5 comments:

SQT said...

We live in California and homes here are crazy expensive. It drives my husband nuts that a good income is not enough to buy a decent house. So, you're not alone out there.

Weight. Sigh. After having kids it just all goes to Hell doesn't it?

DirkStar said...

Very lovely post.

Family first...

My goal for this year is to learn how to be a great father as fast as humanly as possible.

Crunchy Carpets said...

Dirk....I think you will do just fine.
It is amazing how that tiny baby can bring out the best in a person...love and instinct do miracles.

whimsical brainpan said...

Nice post!

My goals are simple. Improve myself and make more progress this year.

Heather in Beautiful BC said...

You've certainly got a good start on one of your goals with Wet Coast Women! I just visited all the members and left each a message. Let's network!