Text Link Ads

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

War and Patriotism


While children welcomed the Easter Bunny into their homes, and Christians marked the resurrection of Jesus, others were steeped in the midst of darker moments.

6 more Canadian soldiers were flown home in coffins this weekend from Afghanistan. Victims of another hidden bomb.

51 soldiers have lost their lives over in Afghanistan since 2002.

Nothing compared to the 3600 lost at Vimy Ridge in 1917. But we share the enormous pain of their families and friends and comrades.

As the death toll rises and fighting and violence continues in Afghanistan, people naturally wonder just how long we will be there. And yes, some people think Canada should pull out... walk away, after all what is one tiny messed up country mired in civil unrest and violence got to do with us?

Why SHOULD our soldiers risk their lives in that far away place they ask.

And while I abhor war and and the many excuses for it, I think we do need to be in Afghanistan....because the consequences to the innocents would be unimaginable. The Taliban needs to be destroyed and we need to clear up the terrorist cells and those supporting the Taliban and the many other militant groups as soon as possible. This would be a message to all those groups hiding in and around Afghanistan.

I however, don't think that the current strategies are working. There or in Iraq. I think the street fighting and suicide bombings and hidden roadside bombs could seriously go on forever.

It is a war of attrition now in both of these places. Something needs to be done.

I however, have no answers.....what do I know?

And why did I mention Vimy Ridge?

This weekend marked the re dedication of memorial there. A beautiful memorial. A breathtaking honour to the thousands of Canadians who gave up their lives for that one decisive battle so long ago.

In the title of this post, I mention the word 'Patriotism.' Patriotism gets used a lot in conjunction with the military. After all you are or you are told you are..fighting for your country.' That is a very patriotic thing to do.

Patriotism is seen in different ways all around the world. Patriotic feelings are very personal.

Recently, as I surfed around the blogosphere, I have come across a few 'patriotic' sites.....I think all of them were American. Emblazoned with flags and much honouring those who have and are fighting 'the war.' There are sites by actual military personnel. I find these sites fascinating as I know little of life in the military. There are sites by families of those in the military....I share their worry and their pride in their military family members. There are those by ex military and those who are just plain patriotic.

American patriotism seems to an outsider like me way more 'out there' than those of other Western nations. Canadians are no doubt just as proud of their country, but we are not so overt about it. Neither are the British...they tend to be a bit more self deprecating, but their pride does shine through.

What I don't like to read or see is how patriotism can be used to attack someone. I don't like how a person is accused of being 'un patriotic' because they are against the "war" in Iraq. Or that because they don't support said war, that they are not supporting the troops.

I hate this...I find it very distasteful.

Not agreeing in politics and governmental motives has nothing to do with supporting or not supporting the men and women doing their jobs, nor is it unpatriotic.

Perhaps because of the debacle and lack of welcome that the veterans of Vietnam experiences, that this has become such a hot issue.

People have a real fear that Iraq is indeed the 21st Century's own Vietnam. And while it might well be, I really don't think people will take it out on the troops.

I also don't like the idea that you are unpatriotic if you don't fully support the government in their every decision.

Most of our governments are elected. Meaning WE put them there. They work for us. It is up to us to make sure they are doing the job we asked them to do. This goes for all Western Democracies.

I wish we didn't have war. I wish we didn't have the need for war.
But we do. And probably will do for a very long time.
It is human nature.

I wish we could help all the countries ruled by heavy handed monsters. I wish all countries could have the freedom to form their own FAIR systems. Systems that work for them.

And while I think the war in Iraq was for all the wrong reasons and that the world was lied to.....I think we need to figure something out and finish the job. And sooner than later, so that no more men or women are brought back in coffins. And no more innocents lose their lives and livelihoods.

So while I don't have a Canadian Flag on my websites, I am proud of troops.

I actually come from a fairly military family.

My Canadian Grandfather was in the Seaforth Highlanders during the Second World War. My Great Uncle was in the RAF. He was an engineer on the big bombers. My Great Aunt was a WREN. She manned the radios that kept in contact the many ships out at sea. My moms cousin was in the RAF too. My Step-Grandmother was in the Canadian Military. There is some Great somebody too who survived the First War also.

The military and the war have had a profound effect on my family for many generations. It shaped and changed many lives. Many tales are passed on. Memories shared.

Am I patriotic? You bet I am.

2 comments:

Iris said...

My heart goes out to the families of the soldiers. I cannot even imagine.

My father was a veteran of WW2...that is all I can even say.....

Rositta said...

Quite a post. My first visit to you, I support our troops (we just lost two more today)BUT, I fail to see the point any longer. We can go there, bet there for years and years and the moment we go things go back to the way they were. Afghanistan is a tribal nation and will take generations to change, they will continue killing each other (in the name of religion) and there is bugger all we are going to be able to do to change it. That's the problem isn't it...ciao